4 Ways to Make Your Home Energy Efficient

The bulk of our expenses probably goes to our homes. Because our houses shelter us every day, it’s prone to damage and natural wear and tear. That’s where we, as homeowners, come in. Our job is to maintain our homes and give it the care it deserves.

Maintaining a home can, indeed, get very expensive. We have to shoulder the costs of utilities and services — not to mention the repair cost if something breaks or suffers damage. But these are all considered necessary expenses we need to make to take care of our homes.

Home maintenance, however, does not need to be expensive! There are some tweaks and innovations you can make in your home to help save up on costs. Here are some ways to make your home energy efficient.

Unplug appliances that are not in use

This might seem obvious. But truth be told, a lot of homeowners don’t do it. It might have something to do with the hassle of plugging them back in. But if you want to save energy and reduce your electric bill, this is a great way to start.

Unused appliances still consume a lot of energy. Phone chargers, especially, are the most common wires left plugged in. It has been reported that chargers consume 0.26 watts of power when not in use. So be sure to unplug them if you’re not using them.

Choose better light bulbs

Leaving the lights on consumes a lot of energy. You might not know it, but the type of light bulb you use will have a significant effect on the cost of your electric bill. Some kinds are more efficient in saving energy than others.

Take, for instance, incandescent light bulbs. These types only use 10% of the energy it uses to provide light, while the other 90% converts to heat. If you’re using incandescent light bulbs, it would be smart to switch to other types.

Consider LEDs or fluorescent light bulbs instead. This will reduce your energy consumption by up to 50-75 percent.

electric bill report

Find more efficient ways to heat and cool your house

Heating and cooling systems are the most energy-consuming installations in homes. That’s understandable because summer days can get too hot, and winter days are sometimes too cold. But there are better and more efficient ways to keep your home cool or warm during the seasons.

Go easy on the heating and cooling systems and try other methods like installing a ceiling fan, lighting the furnace, or installing vinyl windows in your Utah home.

Use cold water for chores

Especially during the winter, chores, like doing the laundry and washing the dishes, can be uncomfortable using cold water. So we turn up the water heater when we do our chores.

But this also consumes a lot of energy. That’s because 90% of the energy is used just to heat the water. Imagine how much you’re going to save by making the small sacrifice of using cold water to do chores.

Although it means losing a little means of comfort, you’ll be able to save a lot of money if you do these energy-saving tips. It’s true that you deserve to live comfortably. But in doing this, don’t let your bank account take a hit.

Share this post on

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on reddit
Share on tumblr
Scroll to Top